International Economics Data and Programs
If you have found these pages useful, or have any requests, please e-mail me.
José de Sousa
● What is the most current version of the RTA do files?
● What are the main changes?
● How do I create a bilateral regional trade agreement dummy?
● Where do I find information on regional trade agreements?
● Why do I use the term "country"?
● What is the ISO3 alphanumeric code of countries?
● How do I define a regional trade agreement?
● How many bilateral relationships share a regional trade agreement per year in the sample?
● Who is using these files?
is the most current version of the RTA do files
4th October 2014.
do I create a bilateral regional trade agreement dummy?
Copy all the files into the same folder. Then, run masterrta_2014oct.do.
● What are the main changes?
1/ Extended period of time: The data on RTAs starts with EU6 in 1958 and ends in the 4th of October 2014.
2/ I cover 199 countries compared to the 96 countries in Baier and Bergstrand (2007).
3/ I use the most recent ISO3 codes (Thanks to Farid Toubal for this suggestion)
4/ I distinguish between FTA=Free Trade Agreement; CU=Customs Union; EIA=Economic Integration Agreement; PSA=Partial Scope Agreement (see WTO for a definition of this information)
However, I do not include PSA (e.g. Chile - India; Mercosur-India; Thailand - Lao), the only exception is ASEAN - China which is also a EIA.
do we find information on regional trade agreements?
Three main sources are used to construct the "2.rta_2014oct" do file:
1/ Table 3 of Baier and Bergstrand (2007), "Do free trade agreements actually increase members' international trade?" Journal of International Economics 71 (1), 72–95 March. [hereafter BB07];
2/ The most recent WTO List of all RTAs in force:
• As for 30th August and 4th October 2014: http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtoaug14.xls
• As for 1st March 2014: http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtofeb14.xls
• As for 3rd February 2013: http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtofeb13.xls
• As for 26th October 2012: http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtooct12.xls
• As for 15 December 2008: http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtodec08.xls
• As for 15 September 2006 (used for a previous version of the code): http://jdesousa.univ.free.fr/data/rta/wtosep06.xls
• For the most resent list: here
• N.B.: the most recent WTO list gives information on current RTAs and not on former RTAs.
(e.g. agreements between Central Eastern European countries and the EU are not mentioned since the former are now EU members).
3/ qualitative information contained in Frankel (1997): Regional Trading Blocs. Institute for International Economics, Washington, DC.
● Why do I use the term
The term country is used for convenience but some areas covered are not countries in the conventional sense of the word.
ISO3 alphanumeric code of countries?
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) defines three-letter country codes for the names of countries. Here is the current list.
How do I define a
regional trade agreement?
See http://rtais.wto.org/UI/PublicAllRTAList.aspx and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_trade_agreement
many bilateral relationships share a regional trade agreement per year
in the sample?
See here for a table. Data on 2015 is due to the time convention: rta_t=1 if the agreement is in force before the middle of the given year t, i.e. before the 1st of July. RTAs negotiated after the 1st of July 2014 are thus in force in 2015!
Who is using these files?
Keith Head, Thierry Mayer and John Ries "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence", Journal of International Economics 81(1): 1-14.
Keith Head and John Ries (2010), "Do trade missions increase trade?", Canadian Journal of Economics 43(3): 754-775.
Gabriel Felbermayr and Wilhelm Kohler, "Modeling the Extensive Margin of World Trade: New Evidence on GATT and WTO Membership", World Economy 33(11), 2010, 1430–1469.
Leila Baghdadi, Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, Celestino Suárez-Burguet and Habib Zitouna (2012), "Is the road to regional integration paved with pollution convergence?".
Leila Baghdadi, Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, Celestino Suárez-Burguet and Habib Zitouna (2013), "Are RTA agreements with environmental provisions reducing emissions?," Journal of International Economics, 90(2), 378-390.
Celine Azemar, Julia Darby, Rodolphe Desbordes and Ian Wooton (2011), "Market Familiarity and the Location of South and North MNEs".
Pao Li Chang and Tomoki Fuji (2012), "Country Image and International Trade".
Mathieu Couttenier and Rapahel Soubeyran (2011), "Diplomatic Intervention in Civil War: Trade for All or Trade for One ?"
If you find these files useful, I would appreciate knowing who you are. Thanks for citing: de Sousa, J. (2012), "The currency union effect on trade is decreasing over time", Economics Letters, 117(3), 917-920.